Thursday, December 16, 2010

Europe.


"Ever since I was a little girl, and my family hosted an exchange student from France, I have longed to experience first hand the place I know only through textbook pages and lecture slides, Europe. This intriguing part of the world is the home to brilliant masterpieces from classical antiquity to modern abstraction. The European art history study abroad program covers some of the most impactful episodes of art history from the extravagant Sistine Chapel in Rome to the mystical Mona Lisa in Paris. For me, art is fantastic because of its emotional impact. Einstein once said of art, "The most beautiful emotion we can experience is the mysterious… to sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is something that our minds cannot grasp, whose beauty and sublimity reach us only indirectly.” I believe that art holds within it mysteries that each person molds and shapes into their own individual truths. One of my favorite paintings from the Romantic era is of a man looking out from the top of a mountain into a distant and obfuscatory fog. I personally believe that the mountain represents an overcome trial, and the fog represents our uncertain futures. The steps we take to get through the fog of our futures make the difference to our journey through life. This European art history study abroad is my next step, and guided by passionate professors, it will make my long sought after dream come true." - My study abroad application. 

So. Guess what?? THIS DREAM IS GOING TO COME TRUE. I got into the program!!! I am so stinking excited I have just been beaming from ear to ear since I found out yesterday. I was in my sisters house, all alone cleaning, when I read the email. I jumped up and down, shed some tears, screamed and laughed and smiled and smiled... then I called my mom and told everyone in my family. I wish that i could leave tomorrow to go see the sights I have literally been dreaming about for years. It starts April 26 and I leave for Europe May 12 - June 13. I will be spending my 21st birthday in ITALY. Sounds pretty freaking good to me. 



Some of the places we will visit include the ancient ruins of Rome, Vatican Museum, Borghese Palace, Uffizi, Pitti Palace, Venetian Accademia, and Breda in Italy; the National Gallery, British Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, Tate Galleries, Stourhead and Stonehenge in England; and the Louvre, Chartres, Château de Versailles, Museé d'Orsay, Musée Rodin, Musée Marmottan-Monet, Giverny, and the Centre Pompidou in France. 
   





CAN YOU IMAGINE seeing all of these things (and OODLES more) in person. You know, art back in the day (like the 1800's) was regarded as the 'it' thing like technological advances are the 'it' thing of our day. I'm literally going to go view, experience, and envelop into my soul these amazing masterpieces.  I am literally speechless and so stinking excited. The hard part is going to be coming up with the money... ;) EEEEEKKKKK! I'm so excited! Life is good. Oh and I finished my finals today... I actually ended up doing very well on them. :) 

3 comments:

janc@mac.com said...

I'm sure excited for you, Kels. You will love this experience and think of it the rest of your life.

Whit said...

Amazing!! Can't wait to see these pictures from YOUR lens!!!! So happy for you girl.

Anna Collett said...

Kelsey i know this is way late but how did I not know this??? I am soo excited for you!! I went to Italy last summer and went to a lot of those places and they are seriously amazing!! ah i'm so excited for you.