Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Facebook... Can we as a society ever escape it?

So I walk into the library to print off a paper for my next class, and I decide to take a look at what other people are doing on their computers. Facebook. Of course. What else would a hard working BYU student be doing? As many of you know, I am re-taking American heritage and because of this, I am gaining again so much more insight into why people do the things they do. Why do I blog? Because for me, it is a social outlet and a way to organize my thoughts. Maybe this is why people become obsessed with FB. I thankfully am not, and don't intend on ever being obsessed. If it werent for my out of state friends, I would drop my facebook page in a second. Everyone says they don't love facebook, but secretly you do. You love to look at people's pictures and creep on their status and friends. Secretly you can't wait for a moment where you can change your status to what 'amazing' thing happened to you. My personal and honest opinion on the subject? The world has gotten too technologically dependent for everything from going to the bathroom to having relationships with people. I am perplexed by how quickly society accepts new technology and can't seem to find a way to live without it. I'm glad I have facebook because my best friends are on there and I can see what they are up to. I love having pictures from trips when I forget my camera or whatever. But as far as actual socalizing goes? I could definitely live without it, and I believe we should try to as a society. Now... I'm curious to know what your opinions are on the subject of facebook.... :)

2 comments:

janc@mac.com said...

Thanks for the invite to your blog. I'll send you one to mine.

Whit said...

Facebook is too addicting and it's hard sometimes because I get caught up in other people's lives and sometimes it makes me feel depressed :( Butttt the reason I stick around is for long distance friends and my family that's all spread out. My family would kill me if I deleted it because it's the quickest way we have to stay updated on eachother's lives! Sad, but true!