Friday, October 16, 2009

It seems like life happens in cycles... cycles of good, bad, okay, really bad, awesome, etc. So far this year I've experienced more of these highs and lows then ever before in my life. I've blogged about most of them, so I won't go into detail, but in essence, it's been a growing and especially challenging time. I've delt with sickness, injury, acute loneliness, service and work opportunities I've always wanted to have, love, strengthening of friendships, and loosing loved ones. In each instance as I look back, I can see how fragile and blessed those times were. They have all added quality to my life, and made me expand outside of myself to help others.
Three days ago my Cousin passed way. It was a very unexpected occurance, and my thoughts and prayers go out to my Clayton family who in 2 months have had to deal with the passing of 2 dear loved ones. I've been reminded again and again this year about the fraglity of life.

While I was in the hospital working, I would go into rooms where the patrons would be literally on their death beds. (Alta View is known as a very geriatric hospital). My job was seemingly unimportant in the grand scale of things, but I felt like I would make bonds with these patients who stayed for weeks at a time just by providing for them stability in when they were getting their meals and a different friend to talk to. These lives were so precious. I learned a lot about what adds substance to a person's life. I would always feel so bad for the people who hardly had visitors, and feel peace about the patrons who's families would visit often, or sometimes never even leave.

I know that no one ever wants to experience pain, or face the dark and hard times. It seems that the world could not get worse, but yet, somehow it does. What defines us is how we deal with these hardships. We always beg the question, 'why me? why now?' but we will not find the answer alone. What brings me the most comfort and what I believe to be the best hope we have in this life, is that God is in Everything.

3 comments:

Anna Jay said...

oh kels, this was beautiful. our hearts are with your family.

Mama said...

I see my little girl growing up! Love you and miss you! Mom

Danielle said...

You are so right. God is everything. Thank you for the wonderful reminder.